Water~Stone Review features three contests: Jane Kenyon Poetry Prize, Brenda Ueland Prize for Fiction, and Judith Kitchen Prize in CNF.
of these genre contests is featured each year and resurfaces again in a
three year rotation. The contests are read by an outside judge each
year. Contest entrance fee is $20. We do allow simultaneous submissions but do not reimburse entrance fee should the piece be pulled from consideration. Prize is $1000, publication and two copies of the journal.
Water~Stone Review announces the 2014 Judith Kitchen Prize in Creative Nonfiction in honor of Judith Kitchen, distinguished author and long-time friend of the review, whose nonfiction titles include Distance and Direction (Coffeehouse) and Only the Dance (U. of South Carolina). Kitchen is the editor of three, well-known collections of short essays: In Short, In Brief, and Short Takes (W.W. Norton) and reviewed creative nonfiction in Water~Stone Review, vol. 2-12.
CONTEST SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
- Submissions accepted October 1 - December 1, 2013
- All submissions should be original, unpublished work.
- Literary nonfiction submissions only. Excerpts from larger works must be able to stand on their own.
- Mailed manuscripts must be typed or printed in proper format on white paper, in English, one side only. Cover letters should be brief and indicate that this is a contest submission.
- The author’s name, address, phone, and email should not appear on the manuscript.
- Please send three copies and a SASE for result notification, if mailing your submission.
- Only one submission per person.
- Maximum length: 8,000 words.
- Online submissions available via Submittable™. Entrance fee: $20.